Welcome to Danbury, North Carolina!
Town Council Meetings--Town Council meetings are normally scheduled for the fourth Wednesday of every month. A tentative agenda will be posted by the Monday prior to the meeting.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, August 27, 2014, at 7:00pm, at Town Hall.
NEW BUSINESS ---
Council Meeting 7/23/14
1. Reviewed the proposed design for new town banners.
2. Approved payment of 2014-15 town share of county-wide comprehensive plan - $100.
3. Approved annual contribution to Danbury Library ($700) and Arts Council ($250).
4. Declared surplus one 17 year old vacuum cleaner (not serviceable).
5. Approved the removal of wooden stairway in the Town Park. Stairs are deteriorating and unsafe.
1. This year's long-arm mowing is complete. North Mill Hill Street, Camping Island Creek Rd and a portion of Sheep Rock Rd have been cleaned up.
2. A water leak behind the old courthouse is to be repaired by the County next week, prior to the scheduled overlay of Courthouse Circle.
3. Estimates are being sought for the purpose of repainting Town Hall.
American Towers LLC has applied to the Federal Communications Commission to construct a 200 foot cell tower just outside the Danbury town limits on Seven Island Road. The Town of Danbury does not currently allow towers but the applicant will likely seek a zoning amendment. This process will be public. If you have comments or concerns about this proposal, call or email Town Hall (593-2002,
). Meetings will be announced via this web site and newspaper.
All Danbury residents are encouraged to get involved in the ongoing process of county-wide comprehensive planning. Stokes County has acquired a grant to help with the cost of this important project. Data are being gathered from all communities within the county for inclusion in the plan. A draft plan may be completed later this year.
The Town Council frequently discusses a concern for pedestrian safety as residents and visitors go about their business on Main Street. While the design of the street is unlikely to change, we can, as motorists, change our behavior. Not only is it dangerous for people, it has also been common for pets and wildlife to be killed on the street. Everyone is being asked to obey speed limits and to be alert for people and animals crossing the street. NCDOT and law enforcement officials have been consulted as we work through this problem. Please help us out.
Planning and Zoning Board Meeting--The Planning and Zoning Board meets on an as-needed basis, there are no meetings scheduled at this time.
The Town is seeking applicants to fill a vacancy on the Danbury Planning and Zoning Board. Applicants must live within the town limits. If interested, contact Town Hall 593-2002
Recycling in Danbury-- Danbury residents who are currently receiving garbage service are encouraged to take advantage of curbside recycling. This service occurs on an every-other-week basis. Recycling information can be found at www.wasteindustries.com and www.co.stokes.nc.us.
Danbury, the county seat of Stokes County, North Carolina, is located approximately 20 miles north of Winston-Salem, NC, on highway NC 8/89. Nestled among the natural beauty of the Dan River and Hanging Rock State Park, Danbury is a great place to visit, live and work. We hope to see you soon!